The seventh session of the annual UN Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) will meet in New York from 10 to12 June 2014.
The Conference, the largest international meeting on disability issues, will review the implementation of the CRPD adopted by the UN General Assembly in 2006 in order to ensure that the estimated 1 billion people with disabilities worldwide enjoy human rights on an equal basis with others.
To date, 147 states have ratified the Convention, 14 of them in the last year. Newest ratifying states include Burundi, Cote d’Ivoire, Georgia, Japan and Zimbabwe.
Thematic discussions for this session also include “Incorporating the CRPD provisions into the post-2015 development agenda” as well as “Youth with disabilities”.
- Click here for official Conference documents.
- Click here to read the Convention.
- Click here to read the UNICEF booklet explaining the Convention to children “It’s about Ability”.
- Click here for additional information.
- Click here to watch the Conference live on UNWebcast.