Fourth edition of ‘Water for Life’ UN-Water Best Practices Award is now open for applications. The purpose of the Award is to promote efforts to fulfil international commitments made on water and water-related issues by 2015 through recognition of outstanding best practices that can ensure the long-term sustainable management of water resources and contribute to the achievement of internationally agreed goals and targets contained in the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), Agenda 21 and the Johannesburg Plan of Implementation.
Organized and coordinated by the United Nations Office to Support the International Decade for Action “Water for Life” 2005-2015/UN-Water Decade Programme on Advocacy and Communication (UNW-DPAC) and the UN World Water Assessment Programme (WWAP), the prize is awarded yearly in two categories:
- Best water management practices;
- Best participatory, communication, awareness-raising and education practices.
Every year, special emphasis is being put on the theme selected for next World Water Day. World Water Day is held annually on 22 March as a means of focusing attention on the importance of water and advocating for the sustainable management of water resources. In 2014, focus is given to the topic Water and Energy.
The prize will be awarded at the World Water Day ceremony on 22 March 2014.
- 21 June 2013: Launch of 4th edition of “Water for Life” UN-Water Best Practices Award
- 15 September 2013: Application deadline
- 15 October 2013: Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) starts assessment
- 15 November 2013: International Jury starts evaluation
- 22 March 2014: Public announcement of winners on World Water Day
More information at www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/waterforlifeaward.shtml
For more information on the International Year of Water Cooperation visit our campaign page.