The celebration of World Oceans Day 2014 on the 8th of June coincides with the first day of the twenty-fourth meeting of the Meeting of States Parties to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. This year, also marks the twentieth anniversary of the entry into force of the Convention.
Why do we celebrate World Oceans Day?
- To remind everyone of the major part the Ocean has in everyday life. They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe.
- To inform the public on the impact of the human actions on the Ocean.
- To develop a worldwide movement of citizen, towards the Ocean.
- To mobilize and unite the world’s pop ulation on a project for the sustainable management of the World Ocean. They are a major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.
- To celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the Ocean.