On 20 August, Ms Nisha Director of Office and UNESCO Representative to the Pacific States was our keynote speaker via video link up from Samoa speaking with assembled Canberra based diplomats in our office in Canberra.
The Director’s briefing was an overview of UNESCO’s work in the Pacific which included:
- transforming lives through education
- the importance of intercultural dialogue,
- building resilience to climate change,
- supporting evidence based policies for social inclusion and equity,
- recognizing and protecting the value of culture,
- the promotion of freedom of expression and other areas of their work.
Following on from the briefing a question and answer session ensued including discussion
on next year’s International Year of Indigenous Languages.
For more information on UNESCO Pacific work you can find it here